Looking for a sweet treat to make for your kids or to spoil yourself with? We’ve found the perfect way to incorporate our Mrs Oldbucks Pantry Strawberry Jam (or any of our wide variety of jams to be honest) into your next baking adventure: Hot Jam Donuts! Such a simple recipe to follow, these won’t last long. Here’s all the ingredients you’ll need:
- 3 1/4 cups plain white flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 tsp dried yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 100g butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks
- Canola oil, to deep-fry
- 1 ½ cups Mrs Oldbucks Pantry Strawberry Jam
- Icing sugar or cinnamon sugar to dust
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In the middle of the bowl make a well with the dry ingredients and as you add the milk, butter and egg mix these with the dry mixture until it starts to form a sticky dough.
- Clear a space on your benchtop or on a board and sprinkle with some flour, then knead the dough mixture until it becomes a smooth texture. Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover to prove for 1 ½ hours – you’ll want to see that the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has proved, punch down the dough then place it on your lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for about 2 minutes or until it’s a smooth texture. Next, roll out the dough to a 1cm thickness and then rest this for a further 2 minutes.
- Using a 7cm round cookie cutter, cut out the dough into discs. It’s very important that you leave the discs whole and don’t cut out the centre like you would for a regular donut. Place your discs on a lined baking tray and then set aside for another 30 minutes to prove.
- At this time you can prepare your canola oil for frying. Using a large, deep saucepan, place in the canola oil to a depth of approximately 4 inches (deep enough to allow the donuts to float on top.) Alternatively, if you’re using a deep fryer then follow the directions for the amount of oil it calls for. Heat the oil to 185 degrees celsius and once the oil is hot, ease the discs into the oil and deep fry for approximately 1 minute each side or until golden brown. You can use a long handle wooden spoon to flip the donuts and be careful not to splash any of the hot oil. Repeat until they’re all fried. Depending on the size of your saucepan you can fry 2-3 donuts at a time.
- Once the donuts are cooked, carefully place them on a plate lined with a couple of paper towels to soak up any excess oil and allow them to cool slightly or until you’ve finished fry each one.
- Using a regular piping bag fitted with a 5mm nozzle, place your 2 cups of Mrs Oldbucks Pantry Strawberry Jam into the piping bag. Gently push the piping bag’s nozzle into the side of the donut (about a ⅓ of the way in) and pipe in the jam until the hole you’ve made in the side of the donut is full. Repeat with all donuts until they’re all filled.
- Place some icing sugar or cinnamon sugar into a small bowl and lightly roll or dust your donuts until they’ve got a desired amount on them. Then you’re done!
This recipe calls for our Mrs Oldbucks Pantry Strawberry Jam, but you can get creative and try any of our Jam selection or even some of our delicious Chocolate Sauce! We’d love for you to share your feedback and any photos of your delicious jam donuts on our socials. Bon appetit!