Have we got a delicious recipe for you?! We think we might’ve found a recipe that perfectly marries our Mrs Oldbucks Black Box Honey with beautiful, seasonal berries; a Honey and Jam Cobbler! Whilst it’s a little indulgent we’ll admit, this tasty dessert will be sure to lift your spirits while you’re stuck at home. Whilst this recipe uses a lot of ingredients it’s sure to be a show stopper and the method is relatively simple to follow. For this recipe you’ll need:
- 800g rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 6cm pieces
- 4 cups mixed frozen berries
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 120g Mrs Oldbucks Pantry Black Box Honey
- Finely grated zest & juice of 2 oranges (zest reserved for topping)
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- Cream or vanilla ice cream (to serve)
For the dough mixture:
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 120g almond meal
- 190g caster sugar
- 300g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup cold milk
Ok, let’s get baking:
- Preheat your fan-forced oven to 180 degrees celsius. (200 degrees for a conventional oven) Take your rhubarb, frozen berries, caster sugar, allspice mix, Mrs Oldbucks Pantry Black Box Honey and orange juice and place into a large mixing bowl. Stir the ingredients and once combined, transfer the mixture to a 2.5L (oven proof) baking dish and place it onto your stove top on a medium heat. Whilst stirring occasionally, cook the mixture for approximately 25 minutes; ideally until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid has reduced by one third of its original size.
- Whilst that’s cooking, in a small bowl mix together the corn flour, 2 tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of the berry mixture until the corn flour has dissolved. Once dissolved, add this to the berry mixture on the stove and cook for about 1-2 minutes. Continue to stir until the mixture is combined and then remove the dish from the heat and place it on a large baking tray. Set the dish aside and we’ll start preparing the dough mixture.
- Using a food processor, pulse your flour, baking powder, almond meal, sugar and butter until the mixture is crumbly like bread crumbs. Pop into the food processor your orange zest and milk and blitz until the mixture forms together to make a dough.
- Time to get your hands dirty! Pull off sections of the dough into tablespoon sized amounts and place them on top of the berry mixture in the baking dish. Try and disperse them evenly so there’s a few gaps of berry in between the dough. Place your dish into the preheated oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes. You’ll want the jam to be bubbling and the dough pieces to be golden brown on top. Once ready, remove the dish from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
Now stand back and admire the beautiful Honey and Jam Cobbler you’ve created! We like to enjoy this with some vanilla ice cream or some full fat cream (because why not?) and this dish is best shared with your loved ones. If you want to get creative you could try adding some of our Mrs Oldbucks Berrima Mixed Jam in addition to the frozen berries or sub them out completely and save the time of making the jam altogether.