We are the first day into the hottest months of the year in Australia and this Gooseberry Jam & Strawberry Galette is truly a fresh summer treat. Made with a pistachio studded pastry dough, fresh strawberries, sweet gooseberry jam, bloodwood honey, and a touch of vanilla. The flavour is beyond delicious, the recipe is super simple, and the result extra pretty. Serve with an extra creamy vanilla ice cream for the ultimate berry filled cheat dish.
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachio kernels, finely ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp cold salted butter, grated just like cheese
- Add the plain flour, ground pistachios, and salt in a large bowl and use your fingers to mix the butter into the ingredients until the mixture is the size of small peas. Add 3 tbsp cold water and mix, drizzling in more water as needed (1 tbsp at a time), until the dough just comes together. Gently knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until no dry spots remain, about 1 minute. At this point you can cover the dough and place it in the fridge while you prepare the filling, or for up to one week.
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, honey, tapioca and vanilla essence.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celcius. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough about 1/4 inch thick out into a rectangle or circle. Move the rolled dough to your baking tray. Spread the dough with jam, leaving a 5cm border around the edge. Arrange the strawberries over the dough in an even layer and sprinkle the sliced almond across the top. Pour any remaining juices left in the bowl over the fruit. Fold the edges up and over the berries. Brush the edges of the dough with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the delicious galette in the fridge for 15-30 minutes to chill, then transfer to the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. It’s OK if the edges get dark.
- Let cool slightly and serve topped with ice cream. Enjoy!